The most diverse and inclusive communities offer housing choices that accommodate the needs of families of varying sizes and income levels. The cornerstone of all of the Commission’s rental assistance programs is affordability. The Commission offers housing opportunities using a waiting list system. Applicants are contacted for eligibility interviews as their name reaches the top of the waiting list.*
The Commission's current rental programs are as follows:
- Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8) - WAITING LIST CLOSED
This program is funded and regulated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, providing a rental subsidy to low-income, elderly and disabled families by a housing voucher. Learn more about the Housing Choice Voucher Program here.
- Commission-Owned Rental Housing Program
These units are owned by the Commission and regulated by a variety rental subsidy or below-market rent programs including Low Income Tax Credit, Partnership Rental Housing and Moderate Income Housing Unit Program. Applications for these units are available at each property.
- Housing Opportunities for Persons with Aids (HOPWA)
This program is funded and regulated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and is dedicated to address the housing needs of low-income families living with HIV/AIDS. The Commission partners with the Baltimore City Mayor's Office of Human Services to make this program available in Howard County.
- Money Follows the Person BRIDGE
This program is funded and regulated by the Maryland State Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). DHCD partners with jurisdictions to offer rental assistance to persons returning to the community after a prolonged stay in a medical facility. The rental assistance is transitioned to a housing choice voucher in three years.
*The length of time that a person waits for an interview cannot be predicted and is dependent upon funding or the availability of a unit.
Other rental housing assistance programs in Howard County:
- Housing Choice Voucher for Homeownership Program (Operated by the Commission):
- This program is offered to eligible Housing Choice Voucher Program participants. Please inquire with your assigned case manager for more information.
- Moderate Income Housing Unit (MIHU) Program